Dan John has been coaching and developing athletes for a long time. When he recommends something it's not because he saw it on the "Dr. Oz Show" or read about it in Men's Health. He recommends it because he has acid-tested it on himself and his athletes. Then and only then will he pass something along. This is the reason why I take his advice and comments to heart - because I know that he doesn't have an agenda or a product to sell.
So, when Dan comes out with an article on advice for personal trainers, you can bet that I will read it very carefully. Not just read it - but study it! Here is a little tidbit from the article that might interest both athlete and trainer alike:
- Don’t smoke.
- Wear a seatbelt, and a helmet when appropriate. Technology can get you faster than your skull can grow thicker.
- Learn to fall and recover. Maffetone notes that 28,000 Americans die from falls and fall-related deaths.
- Floss your teeth! The healthiest thing you can do for your heart is to floss your teeth!
- Eat more protein.
- Eat more fiber (mostly from veggies)
- Take more fish oil.
- Drink more water.
- Build more lean body mass.
- Keep your joints healthy, and maintain joint mobility.
If you are doing all ten things then you are in the top five percent of the population! If you are doing most, but not all, then get with the program and start filling in the blanks.
NOTE: Dan John will be in Gaithersburg, MD in November teaching an HKC and an Art of Coaching workshop. Look for more information on both events coming soon!